2.13.2012

How to Love Green Stuff............................................................ Smoky Chickpeas & Kale

Pin It

Last Thursday I had a Grade A, Super Deluxe, Mucho Supremo kitchen melt-down. 
It was legit.

Now, I'm not one to wig out about things very easily... so this was one for the books. I had a string of evenings where every single thing I made was either truly awful tasting or just plain difficult and laborious. The more I stuck it out, the worse it got. Before I knew it I was spilling and breaking things right and left. 

You know those days were you wake up on the wrong side of the bed and with every minute that passes things seem to become increasingly and colossally more tragic ... it was like that but about 4 days long and strictly confined to the kitchen. It was as if the room was rejecting me. 

Seeing as how I had just written about the importance of listening to yourself, I figured I should take my own advice. 

My self said, 
"Take the damn weekend off, you crazy lady!" 

So I did.
And it was incredible. 

My super amazing boyfriend, Sweets, took spectacular care of me. On Friday, he took me shopping at a great little co-op here in town called Open Harvest. They have a beautiful selection of organic produce. 







He then cooked me a supper of stuffed Portobella Mushrooms with a Sweet & Sour Quinoa salad, and even topped it off with a bottle of red wine.
Then on Saturday, he bought me supper at our favorite Thai food restaurant. We did manage to make Mango Sticky Rice for dessert that evening without any disasters. Speaking of Mango Sticky Rice... you MUST eat it. This stuff is so good I could freak. I will share the recipe with you later this week

My kitchen is slowly welcoming me back.
I survived in there long enough to make Chickpeas and Kale for supper last night with Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies for dessert, and some Chocolate protein bars this morning...

I only broke one wine glass and one bowl, dropped a container of sour cream (consequently splattering it all over my floor and cabinets) , and totally screwed up my protein bars (which I did end up remedying)... Not too shabby.
Welcome to the Experiment.

These Beans & Greens I made did turn out really well though, PLUS they were:
  • Really tasty. 
  • Loaded with nutrition.
  • Super cheap! Right around 5 or 6 bucks for 6-8 servings.

WINNER.

~ Saute 1 Cup chopped carrots, 1 diced red bell pepper, 1/2 diced onion, and 2 cloves minced garlic in 2 T butter for about 4 minutes.

~ Add 2 tsp. smoked spanish paprika, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1 tsp. crushed red pepper. Saute til fragrant, about 1 minute.

~ Add 2 1/2 Cups veggie stock, 1 Cup water, and 2 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed). Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

~ Add 5 Cups chopped Kale. Cover and steam for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

~ Stir in 2 T. lemon juice and a couple dashes of tamari to taste.

~ Serve with brown rice and a spoonful of non-dairy sour cream.
 


Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...