1.07.2012

Maple Applesauce Pancakes

Pin It

Happy Saturday Morning!

Hopefully your weekend is off to a fan-freakin-tastic start.... Here's a little stack of deliciousness it make it even better. 


Miss M and I are having a girl's weekend while Sweet's is off exploring the Rockies. No fair. 

We thought this chilly morning was begging for something warm and sweet. So we made these pancakes. Which are so yummy!!  Not to mention ridiculously good for you. 

I made some homemade applesauce earlier this week (see below)  because I had a bunch of apples with smooshy spots and I hated to see them go to waste. I'm attempting to be a more responsible earth dweller, and waste less.... 

So I found and adapted a pancake recipe from a new blog I've recently found and fallen madly in love with. It's called Chocolate Covered Katie . Katie makes healthy vegan desserts. You must pay her a visit. What I love most about her recipes is that they all make small amounts. 
I greatly appreciate this since one of the things that deters me from baking on most occasions is the just plain stupid quantities they make.  I mean, who needs 32 cupcakes for cripes sake. Seeing as how the art moderation is not a skill I ever acquired, I then of course, am forced to put all these sugary treats  in my face. ugh.

Here's what you'll need:
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR. ROLLED OATS. HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE. CINNAMON. BAKING POWDER. SALT. VANILLA. REAL MAPLE SYRUP. ALMOND MILK.

Heat a cast iron skillet over med-low heat. 

Mix together 1/3 C. flour, 2 T oats, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 chunky maple cinnamon applesauce, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. salt,  1 tsp. vanilla, 1 T real maple syrup, 2/3 C. almond milk. 

This mixture should be very thick. It will be much different in texture than your typical pancake mixture. Place heaping scoops of batter on your skillet and smoosh them out into a nice thick circle shape (it will make 4 pancakes). 
Since these little cakes are so dense you will want to cook them over really low heat so that they won't burn on the outside before they're done cooking through the middle. Our pancakes were still pretty moist on the inside, but we like them that way.

For the topping, mix a big scoop of your applesauce with some warm maple syrup. Yum! 

We also made Chocolate Pancakes with a maple coconut-cream sauce which I will share later.  You're drooling. I can tell.

 Making homemade applesauce couldn't be simpler. Peel and cut up some apples. Whatever you have is fine. I used some sort of red variety. I seriously have no idea what they were. This picture is about 5 apples (smooshy spots removed, of course). 
Cover bottom of a sauce pan with about an inch of water. Toss in your apples a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple syrup. 

Cover and cook on medium heat until soft. Then smash with a fork, or spoon, or potato masher, or hammer... whatever ya got.

I like mine to have a some texture and chunkiness, but you could cook yours softer and even give'em a whirl in the food processor for a truer 'applesauce' texture.
This is so good straight up on it's own. Miss M ate a big bowl right after I made it. 
Or it's great in pancakes. Obviously. 
Personally, I love to add it to my oatmeal in the morning. 

Have a beautiful day. 
Peace & Love, 
Chandra Nicole

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...