5.04.2011

The Great Bean Debate

Pin It
DRIED VS. CANNED

Here's the verdict after an entire day spent canoodling with beans...

If you're into saving money... go with dried.

If you're into saving time... canned beans all the way, baby.

I considered writing up a pros & cons list for dried vs. canned...but, I'm into saving time.

(In all honestly, I did not notice much of a difference except for in texture... think canned veggies vs. fresh veggies. Same difference.)

For those of us who are not familiar with chickpeas...they are just one variety of legumes and the main ingredient in hummus, which I personally believe was sent from the heavens. Regardless of your decision to go dried or canned, you will still reap the health benefits of these little powerhouses (all varieties are amazingly good for you by-the-way; black eyed peas, lentils, navy beans, etc.)

Why should we eat legumes? I know you are asking...
  • First of all they're WAY cheap, and a virtually fat free source of protein
  • They lower blood pressure and cholesterol AND may reduce the risk of some Cancers
  • Tons of fiber in those little guys... which we all know we need
  • They help lower or normalize blood sugar levels which is an advantage for those with diabetes
NO BRAINER!

Here is the first thing I did with my Chickpeas:



I tossed some chickpeas with olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Then baked on a cookie sheet in the oven at 375 for 40 minutes.

They are delicious and healthy... and addictive. Even my 11 year old daughter and her friend liked them. That's sayin' something.

Next time I will bake them for an extra 5-10 minutes because I found myself picking out the extra crunchy pieces to eat. AND, I think I will throw in a little cayenne for some extra kick!!

Go Get You Some!

(Be sure to use enough oil, otherwise they will be too dry. I recommend 1 Tablespoon for every cup of chickpeas)
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...