2.15.2012

Mango Sticky Rice. Our Newest Love.

Pin It
Sticky, coconuty, warm and melt in your mouthy, mildly sweet, a little sour...

Mango Sticky Rice.

This is quickly becoming an obsession in my home. 

I'm not eating leftovers right this very moment for breakfast. I swear.

We made this last night to go with our Valentine's Day Veggie Sushi. 
I realize Sushi is Japanese and Mango Sticky Rice is largely a traditional Thai dessert, but there are no rules in my house. 

Look at that big beautiful platter of sushi.  We ate every last bite... if you were wondering.
This was our first ever attempt at making sushi ourselves. Cucumber, avocado, and pickled radish. Topped with thinly sliced jalapenos and a hoisin & tamari sauce (not pictured. obviously.)  I'm in love.
Turns out Sweets is a master sushi roller. Who knew?!
I have a feeling there will be much sushi crafting occurring in my house from now on. Even Miss M loved it, and worked her chopsticks like a champ.

Okay, why was I writing this post again? Oh yeah, Sticky rice... 

Sweets and I discovered the joy of Mango Sticky Rice one night, several months ago, at our favorite Thai food place. We had eaten there a gajillion times, always always getting dessert. Because we love it. 

For some reason the sticky rice had never jumped out from the dessert tray to say, "Eat Me! Eat Me!" before that night. Maybe it was because of it's simplicity. The poor thing didn't really stand much of a chance up against chocolate lava cake with cappuccino ice cream, white chocolate strawberry shortcake, or green tea infused cheesecake. I'm pretty sure I could hear the other desserts chanting "we're better than you are, we're better than you are, people want to eat us, too bad for you-ou"

This one evening though, we must have felt bad for the amount of ridicule and mockery the poor little innocent Mango was being subjected to, because we ordered it. Although not without a back-up dessert... just in case it sucked. We've pretty much been madly in love with it ever since. 

Even more so since we've taken on this season of vegan thing. Eggless, dairyless restaurant desserts are pretty hard to come by, so this has definitely become a go-to for us. 

Anyhow, to make a short story long, which I've sufficiently done here, I boycotted my kitchen this last weekend (or maybe it boycotted me...) so we were out for dinner once again at our fave Thai place. Through the entire meal we harbored eager anticipation for our mango sticky rice. I even boxed up half of my entree to save room, just to find out the little pile of sticky goodness was not on the dessert tray that evening. *Gasp* It was a horrific tragedy. (We're very serious about dessert) 

It was at this moment in time, it occurred to us that the delicacy we were longing for was quite simply rice and fruit. How hard could that be to make? So, after a trip to the ghetto Oriental Market (which is now one of newest favorite places), and a small amount of kitchen time, I can confidently answer, "Not very."

Here's what you'll need: 
SWEET RICE. COCONUT MILK. BROWN SUGAR. MANGO. SALT.

This makes quite a bit. We like left overs. You know, for breakfast and stuff. 
You could cut this in half if you're not into sticky rice for breakfast you crazy person. 

~ In a large stock pot measure 2 Cups of rice and 2 Cups of water. Let sit for 30 minutes. 

~ Do not drain. Add to the pot, 1/2 Cup coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 T. brown sugar, and another 1 1/2 Cups of water. 

~ Bring to boil, reduce heat covering partially. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stirring occasionally. This mixture will get VERY sticky. That's okay. You will want this to be custard like in the end. 

~ Turn off heat and cover securely. Let sit 5 - 10 minutes. 

~ Pour remainder of the can of coconut milk into a small sauce pan.  Sweeten with 3-5 T of brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like things. Remember this will taste less sweet once it's on the rice, since the rice is not very sweet at all. Warm through. Serve with a scoop of rice and sliced mango.

Be sure to let me know how you like it!

Photobucket
Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. This all looks so yummy! Mango is my favorite and rice? Well, rice just makes me happy. :)

    One of these days, when I have the energy to try something new in the kitchen, I will need to give this a try!

    Hope you are having a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice makes me happy too! I must caution... you will become addicted to this stuff. It's so good! Let me know if you end up trying it.
      So glad you could stop by, Angie!

      Hope all is well in Hawaii...
      Take a dip in the ocean for me, would ya? ;)

      Delete

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...