2.04.2012

Creamy Mushroom Risotto

Pin It
This meal was pure genius.


Last night Sweets and I, with our combined brilliance, came up this meal. He was wanting to prepare supper for me since I'd been cooking my ass off all week... what a sweet man! (I wonder where he gets his name?)

I said that would be lovely, however I was still on a quest to provide my fellow Earthfooders with more good recipes for creamy things before the weeks end seeing as how my last couple attempts, although entertaining, were not shareable.

With the upcoming snow storm we were expecting, a creamy mushroom risotto sounded comforting and warm and absolutely perfect. Sweet's was wanting to replicate a blackened tofu dish he'd smashed (Sweets Lingo) during a trip to Denver in the very first days of his Earthfood adventure.

Mushroom Risotto and Blackend Tofu??... 
Yes please.

I've had some arborio rice in my pantry for months that I'd purchased solely for the purpose of concocting a spectacular risotto creation (which by the way, I had never attempted before).

I was putting it off though due to all the risotto woes I 'd heard. I went into the production of this dish expecting it to be laborious and complicated with less than predictable results... these are the tales I'd heard of risotto creating.

 Lucky for you, I'm here to bust myths and shit. This is easy. So just do it.  

Although this does take a considerable amount of time and stirring, the process was really simple and in fact after my Pad Thai making experience earlier this week, was downright breezy.

After a long day at work I was in white wine sipping, risotto coddling heaven. 



 DO THIS, JUST DO IT:

 ~ You will need two sauce pans for this. In the first, warm 4 C.  veggie stock. Place on a back burner and keep warm.

~ In second pan, stir together 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 T. fresh thyme, 1 C. roughly chopped mushrooms, 3 sliced green onions, and a drizzle of olive oil. Saute' til mushroom's liquid begins releasing.

~ Add in 1 C. Arborio rice and another drizzle of oil. Stir until slightly browned and poppy (about 5 minutes). Pour in 1/2 C. white wine and stir until aborbed.

~ Pour yourself a glass of wine and get ready to stir, stir, stir. 
 (this is very important. your risotto will not turn out properly if you skip it. consider yourself warned.)

~ Add 1/4 C. broth and stir until absorbed. Keep repeating this until rice is tender and creamy.

~ Saute/ another 1/2 C. mushrooms in a small skillet with 1 T Earth Balance Butter and S&P until tender. Stir into risotto along with 1/2 T. nutritional yeast and S&P to taste. If you have it, use Tamari (aged soy sauce) in place of the salt for additional depth of flavor.

We ate our Mushroom Risotto with Blackened Tofu (you can find the recipe here) and a Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Maple Dijon vinaigrette, which was sooooo yummy. I'll be sharing that recipe with you next week.





 This is what we woke up to this morning. 
Totally bizarre after a week of 60 degree weather.
Nebraska is weird.

What's the weather been like where you are?


Photobucket

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...