1.24.2012

Oatmeal cookies for 2 & 1/2 people. Or 1... if you're me.

Pin It

It appears as if these cookies had a rowdy party and didn't invite us... 
I'm pissed.


It also kinda looks like one really tall cookie in this picture, but there's 5. Trust. 
 That's how many cookies this recipe makes. I like that a lot. 

So, I have this oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that I acquired from a lady I worked with 12 years ago. It has, for all of these years, consistently been my favorite. The original form of this cookie was so tender, and so spiced, and so perfect... 
but made a couple dozen cookies (who needs that many?) and was also loaded with a cup of sugar, a cup of shortening (eeew), and more white flour than oats. Not a whole lot of nutrition.

 I've recently developed a new philosophy on sweet eating: If I'm gonna eat sugar (which I will surely do), I want to give my body something it can use along with it. 

And since I'm not sure I can live a lifetime without these cookies, it was glaringly obvious that they must be made-over.

So, here's my shot at it.
These little suckers have almost 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein in each one! 
No wonder they had a party.


You will need:
RAISINS. GROUND FLAX SEED. BAKING SODA. COCONUT OIL. MAPLE SYRUP. SALT. OATS. ALMOND FLOUR. CINNAMON. NUTMEG.

~ Step 1: Microwave 1/4 Cup raisins & 1/4 Cup water for 2 minutes. 
(Think of this as a raisin spa session. It will rejuvenate your shriveled grapes, returning them to a plump and juicy state. Mmmmm... shriveled grapes.)

~ Step 2: Drain your youthful looking raisins, reserving 2 Tablespoons  of the raisin water.
Set the raisins aside.

~ Step 3: To the reserved water add 1 1/2 Tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 1/4 tsp baking soda. Set aside also. 
 
~ Step 4: In a separate bowl, smoosh together 2 T coconut oil, 2-3 T real maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like things) & 1/8 tsp. salt with the back of a spoon. Stir in 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, and flax mixture

~ Step 5: To the above mixture, stir in 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 C oat flour (i made this by grinding up oats with my magic bullet) , drained raisins, and 1/4 cup almond flour.  

~ Step 6: Form into 5 balls. They will be wet, but don't you fret.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. 
Half way through the baking time, you may want to reach in the oven and smoosh down gently with a fork, unless you don't mind round cookies.
Let them hang out on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing, then cool completely to allow for your little nutritional powerhouse cookie lovers to set up. Store these sweet things in your refrigerator.

As you can see, this recipe calls for coconut oil. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it. 
Coconut oil is thought to possibly prevent/alleviate disease and prevent weight gain,  has antimicrobial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties plus it also prevents free radical damage and improves appearance of skin and hair. WINNER!!! Oh, and I forgot to mention, it tastes like tropical heaven in your mouth. Lately, I've taken to spreading it on my toast in the morning. I die.

 If you're unfamiliar with coconut oil (as I was just one month ago) check out the deets here.
 And then, go get you some!

Also, while you're making things with your coconut oil you'll probably want to make these
Sea Salt Peanut Butter Cups.

Photobucket
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...