1.19.2012

Fajita-ladas & Spanish Quinoa

Pin It
Since it's the Heart of Winter ...
(I like to say it that way... makes it sound almost pleasant)
I've been desiring comfort foods for my belly.

If I'm being honest I must admit that fruits, veggies, & grains aren't the first thing that pop into my head when I'm fantasizing comfort. Seeing as how this is The Earthfood Experiment and all, I've assumed a self appointed mission to create meals that are just as yum-wow satisfying as traditional fare, but that we can feel really great about eating and feeding to our loved ones. 

Since I'm painfully indecisive when it comes to minuscule decisions, I couldn't decide what was more comforting... Mexican or Italian, Mexican or Italian. Flippy floppy, flippy floppy. Welcome to my mind. 
Okay, Mexican!  (For now) 

So, do I want to make enchiladas or fajitas, enchiladas or fajitas? 
Oi. That is a decision I CANNOT make. 

 Fajita-ladas! 
That's the answer.   

Now, before I show you this picture I implore you to bear in mind the fact that Fajita-ladas were born on the very same day as Barney Soup and Mooshy Pie, both of which were performers in the Masterflop Theatre. Fajita-ladas themselves do not qualify as a masterflop, however their presentation was lacking... 

Although you aren't outwardly beautiful, we know the beauty you possess on the inside. 
We still love you fajita-ladas.

These are made with corn tortillas, which fell apart causing 
<------- this mess you see on the plate. 

I prefer the taste of corn tortillas, but I'm certain they would hold together much better with the use of flour tortillas.



Next to the fajita-ladas you will find my first ever experiment with the superfood, Quinoa. Spanish Style. One cup of this mysterious grain has 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. Holla!

I got this quinoa recipe from a fellow food blogger, and followed it to a T. You can find it here at Closet Cooking.
Miss M is now madly in love with this stuff, so this morning I made it for her in a heavenly breakfast form, which I will share later.

Wow, is this gettin' wordy or what? 
Guess I should share my recipe now. 

Gather up some spices & Stuff. Mix together for use later.

1 T CHILI POWDER
1 1/2 tsp CUMIN
1/2 tsp SMOKED PAPRIKA
1/2 tsp OREGANO
1/4 tsp ONION POWDER
1/4 tsp CRUSHED RED PEPPER
1 tsp SALT
1 tsp PEPPER
2 cloves minced GARLIC
juice of 2 LIMES
1/4 C OLIVE OIL

You will also need: 

RED & YELLOW BELL PEPPERS. GREEN ONIONS. RED ONION. PORCINI MUSHROOMS. GARLIC. SALSA VERDE. TORTILLAS.

~ Slice 2 bell peppers, 1/2 red onion, and 5 green onions (why 5? because that's how many I had in my fridge, and that's how we do things at The Earthfood Experiment) Throw them all into a container or zippy bag with your spice mix from above along with 1/2 oz reconstituted dried porcini mushrooms (these are super meaty in flavor and uber delicious) 

~Watch some reality TV, take a nap, and covertly observe some Facebook "friends".

~ When your veggies are all good and marinated, throw them in a skillet and saute til caramely and tender and delicious. S&P to taste.

~ Now stuff all those veggies into tortillas dipped in salsa verde, roll'em up & put'em in a casserole dish.

** If you want these to have an extra meaty flavor you can also add some baked tofu that has been marinated in liquid smoke. I did this, but considering I'm not a huge fan of meatiness in general (unless of course we're talking about men) I think I would have preferred them without.

~ Top with more salsa verde, cover and bake until heated through. About 30 minutes. If you like your tortillas to crisp up on the edges like I do, then bake them an additional 10 minutes uncovered.

Serve with some Spanish Quinoa. 
Top everything with some fresh cilantro & sliced jalapenos.
The End.

What are your favorite comfort foods?
I'd love to know, so we can experiment with them!

Photobucket
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...