1.20.2012

The Crunchy Elvis... A breakfast Quinoa

Pin It
Legend has it that Elvis's fave sandwich was white bread with bananas, honey, butter, and bacon....

However, I'm convinced that the funkier, modern day, health conscious, more environmentally aware Elvis would be eating this instead...


THE CRUNCHY ELVIS


I created this recipe after Miss M's love of quinoa was born... which I'm ultra stoked about, since it's a super grain with LOADS of nutrition.  Seeing as how she has a sweet tooth, I figured this would be the perfect way to inject more of it into her diet. Sweets and I think it's pretty spectacular too.

Here's what you'll need:
QUINOA. COCONUT MILK. ALMOND BUTTER. FLAX SEED. EARTH BALANCE BUTTER. RAW HONEY. BANANA. 

~ In a saucepan, combine 1 Cup each of quinoa, water, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. I'm not gonna lie, this stuff smells kinda funny, but I assure you it will taste amazing. 

~ Scoop out 3/4 Cup quinoa and put in a bowl. Add 1 T almond butter, 1 T raw honey, a dab of butter, a sprinkle of flax seed, 1/2 of a banana sliced, and ya might as well drizzle a little more coconut milk in. Top with a sprinkle of slivered almonds if you like.

That's it! Put your leftover quinoa in a covered container and store in the fridge. Then for the remainder of the week you'll have quick and easy breakfasts or lovely & nutritious sweet snacks or heck, even desserts.
I almost always make extras when I'm cooking whole grains since they take a while to cook. Then, when I'm in a hurry I always have a healthy option waiting for me which makes my life much easier.

It's kind of crazy how little things like that add up to equal a much more calm and peaceful day, giving us more time and positive focus for things that really matter.

Do you have any tips that you implement to help your day run smoother?

Photobucket
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...