10.03.2011

Holy Crap I Cooked Something.

Pin It

It's been awhile since any sort of cooking activity has gone on in my household. At least cooking of the sorts that I would like to share here. I'm pretty sure no one would be impressed with, or would care to hear about my finesse with pre-packaged tuna curry from Trader Joes (which has been my go-to food, as of lately) or my ability to boil brown rice. Which now that I mention it I did, for the first time ever, recently burn while cooking... so I'm not even fully confident in this skill anymore...

But burned rice be damned, I decided to have a couple friends over this weekend for dinner with Sweets and I. My girlfriend Lindsay , who I invited over along with her husband, is a vegetarian. I happen to love this because it gives me the excuse to make an entirely Earthfood based meal. Yay!

I decided on Roasted Veggie Lasagna, Red Pepper Hummus with sweet peppers and cucumbers for dipping, Ceasar Salad, and a loaf of Garlic Asagio bread.

Veggie lasagna?! You may be thinking.

I encourage you to try my version and dare I say, "You may even enjoy lasagna of the roasted veggie persuasion as much (if not more!) than you like the traditional version"...??

Brave of me, I know. But trust. 


Behold! the layers of this lasagna...

Sauce: Saute one minced sweet onion in EVOO/S&P for a few minutes. Add 3T of real butter and 1/2 lb sliced portabella mushrooms and more S&P. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are softened. Add a jar of marinara and 1 can of italian style tomatoes. Simmer while roasting veggies.



Veggies: Cut in half and seed 2 red bell peppers, and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices 1 eggplant & 3 small zucchinis. Toss in EVOO and S&P. Roasted on baking sheet for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Cut the tops off 2 bulbs of garlic. Place individually on sheets of foil. Drizzle with EVOO, wrap up, and toss in oven with the roasting veggies.

Remove skins from roasted red peppers and cut into 1/2 inch slices.


Ricotta: Mix together 15oz of ricotta, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Squeeze roasted garlic into separate dish and mash with fork. Add to ricotta mixture. 



Chop up some fresh basil... 
And the only other ingredients you will need are lasagna noodles and Mozzerella
Duh.

I built my lasagna in this order:
  • sauce
  • noodles
  • ricotta
  • veggies
  • mozzerella
  • basil 
  • repeat as many times as possible, ending with a layer of just noodles and sauce on top. 
I covered this with foil and refrigerated for 24 hours, simply because I wasn't going to have enough time to cook the day my guests were coming over, but you could bake immediately if you so desired.

Bake covered in foil at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and top with remaining Mozzerella and some Parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, then let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy! 


Peace & Love, 
Chandra Nicole

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...