6.02.2011

The Longest Named Sandwich Ever... aka Kitchen Experiment #10

Pin It
Open Face Walnut Crusted Chicken Parmesan Sandwich with Roasted Tomato Marinara
I really felt like cooking last night, but didn't feel like eating OR going to the store.
So, I decided to make Sweets a late 10:00 supper after his double header with only stuff that I had in my kitchen already. I hadn't been to the store for a week... so things were looking a little scarce. I did however, have 2 pints of cherry tomatoes I needed to use, some fresh basil, 2 Smart chicken breasts, and walnuts...
This is what I came up with.



I started by making a very simple ROASTED TOMATO MARINARA with the 2 pints of cherry tomatoes sitting in the fridge.

I tossed the tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground S&P, and Italian seasoning. Then roasted at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
After the little guys were done roasting, I smashed em'! Then added more S&P to taste, about 1 & 1/2 more tsp of Italian seasoning, 3/4 tsp of sugar, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon
So fresh and yummy. 

At the same time I was roasting the tomatoes, I also roasted up a couple heads of garlic, which I would later use as a spread on the toasted sprouted grain bread I used for the sandwich. 

If you have never roasted garlic before, it is super easy. 
Simply cut the tippy top off a bulb of garlic, place on a square of foil, drizzle with olive oil, and season with S&P.... then wrap up and throw in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes or until tender. I used a whole bulb of garlic for each slice. This may seem like a recipe for insane garlicky-ness, but roasting garlic makes it super sweet and mellow in flavor. I often times eat it plain on crackers... a super easy appetizer idea for entertaining

For the walnut crusted chicken...
(I based this part of the meal on a recipe I found in Powerfoods... who knew?)
In a food processor process into fine crumbs 2 slices of day old whole grain bread, 1/3 Cup walnuts, 2 T Parmesan, fresh basil leaves, and S&P.

Heat 1 T safflower oil over medium heat in oven proof skillet. Dip boneless skinless chicken breasts in egg whites then in walnut mixture and cook for a minute on each side. Then move skillet into 425 degree oven for another 10 minutes.

Now it is time to assemble your samich!
Toast a couple slices of sprouted grain bread, spread each slice with roasted garlic, throw on some baby spinach leaves, top with sliced walnut crusted chicken, some roasted tomato marinara, and finish with a sprinkle of reduced fat Mozzarella and a little more Parmesan.
Roasted Garlic

Broil for a few minutes to melt the cheese, get yourself a knife and fork, and enjoy your
Open Face Walnut Crusted Chicken Parmesan Sandwich with Roasted Tomato Marinara!!
Mmmmmmm..... 


Peace & Love, 
Chandra Nicole

Best Blogger Tips

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...