5.19.2011

Indulge me please!

Pin It
Berry Parfait with Ginger- Pineapple Granola 
Check it. I took a picture that actually doesn't suck for once. Apparently it helps when you use an actual camera as opposed to your blackberry.
This is what I made for dessert after Supp-fast the other night. 

I made this very interesting granola containing crystallized ginger, which on it's own was a bit too ginger-y. So, if decided to throw it on some Greek yogurt sweetened with raw honey along with some fresh berries. (disclaimer: crystallized ginger is kinda weird, so if you're not into unique flavors this is definitely not for you)
I am intrigued by Ginger root in general... it is so odd looking (like a funny little stubby cactus) and when cut into, very much smells of lemon pledge. Crystallized ginger, i have found after this kitchen endeavor, tastes like sugary lemon-pledge with a KICK! Similar to the way horseradish kicks you.
I rarely use this root except for in it's powdered form. I romanticize the  idea of cooking with fresh ginger, and even go so far as to (often) grab some on my trip through the produce isle, pay for it, and get it into my kitchen... where it then sits... and sits... and sits... until it becomes this shriveled up half moldy ginger-pruney-thing. I'm not giving up though. I bought some more during the same grocery store trip in which I acquired the crystallized ginger for this granola. Maybe I'll actually use it this time.

I found the recipe in my fave cookbook 'Powerfoods' Which I highly recommend. If you happened to miss my first ever granola making experience, check it out here before making this. This granola is made the very much the same way, but with a few different ingredients.

Here is what I used:
I started with 1 1/4 C. macadamia  nuts, 1/4 C. sunflowers seeds, 1/4 C. ground flaxseed, 1/4 C. toasted wheat germ, and 1 tsp. cinnamon... then tossed it together with 6 C. of old fashioned rolled oats.

Then in a separate bowl, I whisked together the whites of 3 eggs and 3/4 tsp. salt until frothy. Then added in 1/3 C. oil and 3/4 C. sweetener (I used molasses) 


Toasted coconut, dried pineapple, and crystallized ginger


Toss the egg mixture in with the oat mixture, spread in layer on baking sheet

Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. stirring a couple times.  

Cool completely then toss in chopped pineapple, toasted coconut, and crystallized ginger (about 2 Cups dried fruit total) I used 1/8 Cup of the ginger, but would probably use less next time. Also, since it's so kick-y be sure to cut into very small pieces for less wham... unless of course you dig wham. Hey, it's your granola! 
Best Blogger Tips

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...