3.12.2012

Oatmeal Apricot Pancakes

Pin It
Before I started this Earthfood Experiment, pancakes were a lovely treat that I made for Miss M and Sweets on the weekend, in which I never partook. These cakes o'the pan were just never my favorite made the traditional way with white flour and eggs and all reminiscent of fluffy white bread. 


Call me a weirdo, but I prefer my breads to be of the whole grain persuasion. I've been a loyal fan for years now. To me, they have so much more flavor than the white stuff... all nutty and chewy and delicious. Yum.


So, for the last couple months I've been experimenting with making pancakes from whole grains and fruits on the weekends... which I actually eat! 


These Oatmeal Apricot Pancakes are, hands down, my favorite so far.







 I bought a new cookbook last week called Vegan Planet, in which found a recipe for flax-berry pancakes. I switched out the white flour for whole wheat and oats, reduced the milk, switched the berries to dried apricots, and added in some ginger and a little maple syrup to sweeten.


 Beware, you may possibly become addicted to these. But it's okay... they're good for you!!


INGREDIENTS: 
10 dried apricots 
2 T ground flax seed 
3/4 C. whole wheat flour 
3/4 C coarsely ground oats 
2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. ginger 
2 T. maple syrup 
1 1/4 C soy milk 




~ Chop dried apricots and put into microwavable bowl with 1/2 Cup water. Microwave for 3 minutes. 


~ Drain off apricot water into a small bowl (should be about 1/4 C) and stir flax. Set aside. 


~ In medium bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients. 


~ Mix into the dry ingredients the soy milk, maple, & gelled flax mixture. 


~ Stir in chopped apricots. 


~ ladle 1/4 C portions onto a hot buttered skillet and cook on both sides until browned. 


~ serve with Earth Balance Coconut Spread and a splash of maple syrup. 

Photobucket
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Love hearing from you... it's my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...